Thursday, May 8, 2008

Rome










I love it here. Something eventful happens every day.

Yesterday we went to a bunch of museums which were cool, but by the end we were pooped. So we meandered down the road and ended up napping on a random patch of grass byt the mouth of truth (the one from roman holiday) It was bliss. When we woke up we were walking to th emetro and found a group of Norweigan guys playing frisbee. So I joined them. One of them was trying to tan in the middle of Rome with his shirt off. I guess it was funny to me because most people tan by a body of water, not famous monuments. I was wearing a skirt that day with my running shorts underneath...just in case. So we were walking down this path and there are a bunch of runners and all the sudden I yelled "transition" and started running with the runners while hiking up my skirt so only my running shorts were visible. Well we wanted a picture of it so we waited. It just so happened that a runner came by when I was playing frisbee. Torrie yelled "noelle!" So mid throw I look over and see the runner, so I run over really fast while pulling up my skirt. The boys probably thought I was nuts. Torrie snapped a pic and then I went back to playing frisbee.

Today we went to St. Paul cathedral in Vatican City. It was AMAZING. It is the most ornate building I have ever been in. It was huge too. I do not know how the Romans nailed the architecture to be able to create such wide open spaces with all the domes. It took my breath away.

Later in the day I was looking at a street vendors art and I got to chatting with him and told him that I wanted to be his apprentice and move to Rome to sell art. He said okay, but all he could make was spaghetti and pizza. I was fine with that, but before I agreed to any deal I said "I need gelatto too!" He was so funny, he says back to my in this thick italian accent "No you will get fat!!" haha. I said "No deal! I need gelatto" Now that I think about it, it would never have worked between us. He was too old.

Tonight we are going to my teachers brother in laws restaurant. I am so excited. It is authentic Italien in the heart of Rome and it is a really nice place. He said 70 euro a plate, but lucky for us we get a major discount.

One thing is for sure. I absolutely love the city. Getting lost and then finding my way, realizing that I was never really lost. I also love talking to the locals. Well I cannot really talk to them but I say bonnasera and stuff. They love it when I try to speak their language. Today in the market I said bonnasera to the checkout lady and she thought I was italian, she started a convo with me and I didnàt understand. It was fun.

Well that is it for the day.

Ciao!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

i love rome!!! and i love you!!! these stories are great, keep wearing running shorts just in case. and find an italian lover. just do it.

ps i was going through my wallet and throwing away old receipts...there were like a million from betos. i almost kept them. ok so i kept one.

May 8, 2008 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Rome is my favorite place EVER! Noelle I miss you. Something happens every day that makes me think of you....Life without Cindy and Noelle is like life without air. I miss you have a blast and I am loving your newsletters! Keep htem up please!

May 10, 2008 at 2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home